On our way to Washington D.C. we stopped at Gettysburg. It was really cool to see the many historical places. We didn't plan much time to stop there and realize it is more than just a big field. We could spend a day or more there. We will have to make another trip!!
This was a must see in D.C. The WWII memorial. It was very big and very well done. The kids were very interested in all the quotes and symbolism in the monument. It was beautiful.
Tim looks so little next to the Lincoln Memorial. All the kids were interested in seeing this as it was a big part of the Night at the Museum 2 movie they saw earlier this year. They talked about all the things in that movie and were so amazed at all the monuments and exhibits that really existed outside of the movie.
This is at Arlington National Cemetary. I really wanted to go there and see the cemetary on this trip. I don't really have a reason but it was something I always wanted to do. It turns out we were there the day after Ted Kennedy died. This is a photo right up near JFK's gravesite. The next day as I was looking through the free USA Today paper from the hotel I spotted a photo from the Associated Press of our Taylor looking on at the gravesite!! It was pretty cool.
One of my favorite parts was The Tomb of The Unknown Soldiers. I really wanted to see the changing of the guard at the site. I saw a documentary on these servicemen who serve here and it was really moving. They are out there in the heat and don't miss a beat or crack a smile. It was said in the documentary that maybe these men would serve better somewhere else and it was a menial job. The servicemen they interviewed said on the contrary that it was one of the greatest honors they could ever imagine and were more than honored to do so.
This is one of the many cool things the boys found at the Museum of Natural History. They were so intent on finding "Rex"
Actually it is the Hope Diamond. It was really cool but I think the boys were more interested in all the security around it!
A resting spot after a long day of walking the National Mall! The kids really wanted to get in that water but were very strong and resisted the urge!!
Zack just could not resist!! He was so interested and amazed in all the different security around the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment