Wednesday, September 16, 2009

New York City

When you go to New York City with 5 kids I am pretty sure that you must go to FAO Schwartz and dance on the giant piano!! Here is Taylor and Madelynne having a blast!!Chris and Tim took their turn at it too! Zack was having no part of taking off his shoes and socks and dancing around in front of people!!
Madelynne was completely awestruck at the baby department. She just could not take her eyes off these dolls in a makeshift nursery. There was even a lady dressed like a nurse ready to help you adopt your own little baby.
So, Maddie chose a new baby doll (shocker) at the Toys R Us in Time Square. She had to choose the one with the carrier and hold it in her stroller as we tried to navigate our way through the crowded streets to the train station. A sidenote: this is after Greg, Jon, Zack, Chris, and Brady left us and went to the Yankees game. So now we had Cheryl, Taylor, Me, Maddie, Mallory, and Tim and 3 Strollers. So, Taylor was trying to push Tim in a stroller without injuring too many people. Well, Maddie fell asleep on her little doll and rode that way most of the way back on the train. She had to wake up for our adventurous cab ride from Penn Station in Newark to the hotel. That was a crazy ride.
This is Greg's new friend at the Central Park Zoo!! Which for those of you who have seen the movie Madagascar, It is NOTHING like the movie!! Anyway, the kids were pretty scared of this very hungry goat. I too was a little disturbed by the goat and all of it's germ infested snot it liked to rub all over your hand when you fed it!!
I am not really sure what I can even say about this!!

Or this!!

Our trip to see the Statue of Liberty on the Ferry. I love the many forms of public transportation we took. One lesson learned, I can take it all again except for sure the BUS!! There is not enough germ-x in america to make that ok!! (Just a disclaimer, it was the Newark, NJ bus and I am sure there are many cities that have clean nice bus systems!)
Approaching the Statue of Liberty

Going UP!! Jon, Cheryl, Greg, Taylor, Zack, and Chris were lucky enough (thank you Jon) to be able to climb to the crown of the statue and look out. It has been closed since 9/11 until this past July 4th. It was a long way up a very narrow winding staircase. Taylor had some trouble with the small space and the altitude. But in the end she was very happy they went.
This was a squadron from the area that were there to take a group photo. The people there on the island looked at it as a photo op too. When I asked the guy why they were there and what they were doing he offered to take a photo with the kids!! They were pretty excited to have the photo taken. They look like good Recruits!!
I am sure I can say with confidence that this is hands down Zachary's favorite picture of all the photos we took. This was a group of SWAT officers on the island. Zack was amazed just watching them. I decided hey, lets ask for a photo. This guy was more than willing to pose with the kids!

Ok, so this is an interesting photo. That is not a homeless man begging for money on the bench in Battery Park!! No, this is a man selling Jon and Greg a counterfeit Rolex watch with MY CHILDREN on his hip!!! This was by far one of the most interesting parts of the trip. There are many people that make a living of selling knockoff purses, watches, wallets, sunglasses, etc. all over the city. It is quite an operation.

This was pretty cool. When we went down to the site of the World Trade Center, the Fire House across the street from what was the WTC was still there and the doors were closed. It was quite interesting to many people. While we were standing there taking pictures, the doors started opening!!
Out came the firetrucks and all the firefighters suiting up for a call. It was really neat to see that they were still a functioning firehouse.


1 comment:

Jon and Cheryl said...

I think I'd rather work in the nursery at FAO Schwartz! Those babies don't cry. Or pee on your scrub top.