Wednesday, November 18, 2009

NEVER EVER Flick a Dog in the Eye!!!

I have decided that if I were to ever write a book (if!! Like I have time for that!) I would write a book about all the things you learn being a mother that no one ever tells you when you are holding that tiny sweet sleeping baby!! Among the many things the boys have taught me, Maddie is sure to have her own chapter!! Starting for sure with Never Flick a Dog in the Eye! Especially when the dog is sleeping ever so soundly and you are supposed to be sleeping ever so soundly!!
So here is how it all started!! Sunday night Maddie was put to bed (several times!!) Timothy was already sleeping with Buster snoring on the end of his bed. Maddie (being mischeivous as she is!) decided she would try to wake Buster up by poking him in the eye!! Boy did she wake him up!! He was startled and bit her right on the wrist!! She wasn' bleeding too much but it did break the skin. We took her in to the ER and had it cleaned out and dressed!! Well, one would think that was enough and we were good to go!!
Not at the Hughes House!!
This is how Maddie looked by 7 the next morning!!
Fever, no appetite, and a swolen red hand (under all that gauze!!)
I took her to the pediatrician and had it looked at again and they were thinking it might be getting infected so started her on antibiotics!! Let's call that good!
Not at the Hughes House!
So here we are on Wednesday morning after being admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics and a series of bloodwork and X-Rays! We arrived at the ER at about 10p.m. and were taken up to our room in pediatrics at about 3a.m.
She has some sharpie drawing on the right arm where the redness was happening and under that stylish sock she has an IV! Yup! She won't use either hand.
So, when you can't use your hand to put food in your mouth, this is what a 2 year old resorts to!!! Great idea. She was having us feed her popcorn by hand!! Fun! I was pretty sure I was going to lose a finger!
As of right now, we have to stay through today and into tomorrow. They want her to tolerate oral antibiotics and get some blood work back to identify what type of infection she has. Her X-Ray looks good. There was nothing broken in her wrist causing the infection. They also have tested her for the flu as she had a couple of unpleasant symptoms and are treating her just in case. The original test came back negative! Yeah me!!
Another chapter in the hectic life of the Hughes family!
We will keep you all updated and make sure you know what is happening either here on the blog or through email and text or calls when we can.
This all seemed to happen so fast and out of the blue, it is amazing how quickly something like this can change all your plans!




3 comments:

Larry said...

Well Maddie looks none the worse for wear...I'm sure she is cranky but what I really notice about the pictures is that there are none of you or Greg!! I'm sure there is a reason for that so we will just leave that alone.
We will finish Maddie's recovery when you get here...a trip to the Dairy Queen for ice cream will heal all wounds.

Shawn and Tori said...

She looks so cute and pathetic! I can't wait to see her on Saturday and give her a bug hug!! And let's hope she learned her lesson, although, these are your kids :o)

Heidi Reads... said...

What a scamp! :) Poor kiddo and poor you to have to stay in the hospital!